If you love being on Hash weekends and want to see them continue then you should seriously start thinking of being a hare some time in the coming year. For "virgins" the idea of haring might seem daunting, however it's actually very straight forward and intuitive. Haring also gets you out on your mountain bike and is a great way to experience more of the beautiful rural Thailand that is found just outside of Bangkok!
It's easy to find a location even if it is your first time being a Hare, simply contact the trail master and he can give you lots of suggestions. There is a large archive of places where Hashes have already been run and the trail master can help you choose a location that's right for you. Once you've found a resort, the main part of haring is simply getting out on your bike and riding! If you are short on experience or time, it's easy to find support from other hashers. On the day of the ride it's fun to lay the paper trail, especially, setting those tricky checks and amusing U-turns! It's important to do the food well, and so we have a detailed buy-list and menu to make it as fool-proof and as easy as possible.
Everyone who has ever hared will tell you there's a great sense of accomplishment that comes with haring, and honestly, no one has ever said they didn't enjoy being a hare. It's a rewarding way to give back something to the Bangkok Hash House Bikers. As a token to help re-imburse hares for the expenses they have incurred recce-ing etc. the Hash gives the hare team B5,000.
- Talk to the trail master first for help in finding a good location.
- The limit to the number of Hares is three people (four, as long as one is a new hare), but there is a lot of support available. An 'old hand' can help you out with your first recce, and you can use as many people as you want to help you scout trails.
- If you don't have a GPS (and it makes setting the rides much easier), someone can lend you one and show you how to use it.
- If you don't have transportation don't let that stop you! Ask the trail master for information about hiring a van. You can fit 7 people and bikes in a van that costs only 1600 – 2000 baht per day. This means you can get a group of people to help you, while keeping your costs to a minimum.
- The Trail Master can provide you with lots more useful advice and inspiration, and will certainly allay any concerns you might have about haring!